Followers

Thursday 21 April 2011

Brand American – Phir bhi dil hai Hindustani

I remember hearing a story about a bania who had a flourishing business in the village. When asked about the secret of his success he said, ‘Actually I do not go in for big margins. I work only at a profit of 1 %’. The persons were astonished at this and asked him how it was possible. He elaborated, ‘1 %. Very simple. Buy at 1 Rupee, sell at 2.’

That is the marketing mantra which is truly Indian. And this mantra is being slowly discovered by all brands, whether Indian or American. Even studies in top B-Schools have been remodeled on the other Indian mantra which is ‘Take the customer for a ride!’

A few days back I was in Ambience Mall and at the ‘Flagship Store’ of Reebok I saw an attractive display which caught my eye. It said ‘Be a Polo Star’ and ‘Best Buy’ and ‘Rs 999’.



Being a semi-bania myself, I am a sucker for discounts. And if I can’t be a star, atleast  I could become a ‘Polo Star’, whatever it meant. By the time anyone could say ‘She sells sea shells….’ I had bought the T Shirt for ‘Rs 1199’!!

What the ****! I went back to the display – it still said ‘Rs 999’. The bill still said ‘Rs 1199’ I asked the branch manager if my eyesight was going weak or something else was wrong. He had a very intelligent reply – ‘As we did not have enough T Shirts of Rs 999, we put these on display’ – BEAUTIFUL – I would say – like a true blue Indian without any remorse.


Can I click a photo of this display? – Sure, as many as you like.

Another interesting thing I found out about Reebok – their old corporate office – the one in Signature Tower closed down and where the new one is no one knows or no one is willing to disclose – maybe it is one of those official secrets!

It was with great difficulty that I found Arjit’s mobile number (through many channels) – he is the Area sales manager. His reply ‘I will ensure that this does not happen in future’. I sure hope so, for your well being, someone with more time on hand than I have, can approach the consumer redressal forum. The times of the Bania are long past!

Similarly I had gone to the Bata store in South Ex I a few months back where I saw an inviting poster saying ‘Sale, Sale, Sale, …. Upto 50% Off *’ Again, being the semi-Bania that I am, I rushed in and asked them to bring me all the shoes on 50% off.



But just like Cindrella at midnight, all the shoes at 50% had disappeared. Actually, according to the salesman, there never were any shoes at 50% discount. ‘Only 20%, Sir’

The difference with Reebok was that Bata has a corporate office in Gurgaon and I could talk to Aarti Ahuja after many attempts (via Bhatinda) and got equally interesting replies – ‘It was the manager’s mistake – he should have put a sign which says 20%’ – but the store in South Ex II had the same poster ‘It is the competition between the two stores – they do things like this!!!!” – AMAZING.

So always look the gift horse in the mouth – or should I say the SALE horse. Because, though the brands are American, we are, obviously,  Indian – Phir bhi dil hai Hindustani!
(c) Dr Rajiv Bhatia

1 comment:

  1. Good post Rajiv Chacha.
    Hope this is an eye opener for all.

    ReplyDelete